Thursday, February 3, 2011

Have you seen my Blue Dog?

I'd like to share with you another of my quiet passions, that of my love and enjoyment for Rodrigue's Blue Dog paintings.  Yes...art!  I enjoy some art!


Art is such a personal subject that I wouldn't dream of trying to convince you dear readers that Rodrigue's Blue Dog works is something you should like, dislike or have any opinion whatsoever.  I simply thought I could share something personal about me. 

I received the Blue Dog you see above, called "Happy Birthday Darling" published in 1998, from my wonderful wife on the occasion of my 40th birthday.  This was clearly one of the most thoughtful gifts ever given to me and was truly a surprise.  She knew how much I enjoyed the Blue Dog and how much I despised losing the first print I owned - we'll get to that in a minute.  This print is very special because it's a "Printer's Proof", one of about 6 that were printed first for the artist to approve prior to going to the mainstream printing of about 500 numbered copies.  Considering that an original painting sells for in excess of $10,000, I was very pleased to receive the Proof!

Here's a close up of the finished mass distributed print:


This is actually the second signed/numbered Blue Dog I have owned.  Unfortunately, the first went the way of the first marriage.  It was called "I Want to Be a Texas Ranger" and was a limited edition print sold exclusively by Neiman Marcus.  Don't fret...I did get a very nice Toulouse Lautrec print in the trade off.  More on Lautrec in another post.  What's odd about art is that I don't even know how to express the "why" I like it.  It just stirs something deep.  Maybe it's because I get it...it's simple.  I clearly don't get much of today's contemporary art.  At the museums I simply think, "Wow, I could've churned that out!"  Maybe I should have paid more attention in the Art Appreciation class I had to take in college!  Oh well...too late now!

Upon request, I was informed that the gallery in New Orleans has 2 Texas Ranger prints available at $2,500.  I think I'll just keep enjoying Happy Birthday Darling!  The print on our wall clearly represents a better time in my life!  However, the nice gallery attendant was kind enough to send me a picture I can share with you.


A little background on George Rodrigue:

From New Iberia, Louisiana, George Rodrigue is known for his Blue-Dog series, inspired by his long-deceased childhood pet, Tiffany, whom he poses with other animals and people. He had early art talent, and ill for nearly a year, he used watercolors and crayons to pass the time and this activity set his future. He studied at the University of Southwestern Louisiana and in Los Angeles at the Art Center College of Design. For awhile he painted Abstract Expressionist works but then went back to painting that which reflected his own Cajun culture including folk tales and bayou and swamp landscapes.

Gradually a black and white spaniel, based on his childhood companion, Tiffany, appeared more and more in Rodrigue's paintings and became the Blue-Dog, now a compelling and humorous pop figure in his original and silk screen reproductions. Rodrigue is also the artist for the Absolut Vodka ads, and has created the artwork for three of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival posters. The 1995 poster with the portrait of Louis Armstrong and the 1996 one featuring Pete Fountain have become collectors' items.

George Rodrigue

So there's my take on one of today's most popular pop-artists.  Some of you might think it's crazy to admire a bunch of paintings with a blue dog, but I'll guarantee you that in your house somewhere there is something I would think was silly that you just think is fantastic.

So enjoy Blue Dog as you like.  If you are intrigued and want more information, here's the official website that has lots and lots of images to check out at your leisure.  See if you can find one that especially grabs you!

http://www.georgerodrigue.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment