Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Do you have the "Wardrobe Essentials"?

This past Sunday I was browsing through my latest Esquire magazine's Q&A section and began reading the answer to the question "what are the basic essentials of every man's wardrobe?"  I was intrigued to say the least!  I had never really given any serious thought as to what I would purchase immediately should I lose every stitch of clothing I own.  So I decided to stop reading and make my own list of 10 essential items that I could then compare to Esquire's and other lists I could find on the Internet. 

My list:

1.  Blue Suit


2.  Blue Blazer


3.  Medium weight Charcoal Slacks


4.  Khaki's


5.  Repp tie - pick your favorite collegiate colors


6.  White spread collar dress shirt with French Cuffs


7.  White Button-down collar oxford shirt


8.  Levi's 501 Blue Jeans


9.  Black Dress Loafers


10.  Black Belt


I started to suggest brands to go with each but decided for the sake of this post that there were too many to mention.  For example, down in Houston you can buy Bill's or Polo Khaki's and be safe.  While you guys up East will chastise me for leaving off our friends at J. Press.  So I just left the exercise to the 10 items (sans brand) and used example pictures above from our friends at the Brothers Brooks.  And I left off socks, underwear and accessories as I thought this would  be an understood necessity.

Clearly, this is a starter list and may be something a young stud right out of college could get started with to exchange his collegiate garb of t-shirts and frayed jeans.  For an experienced or mature gentleman, this list may just serve to remind ones self of the basics with which to continue the enhancement of a proper wardrobe.

I was pretty much on target with my list.  Some of the items on other lists included:

Sweaters - most likely a Northerner
Cotton polo/knit shirts - if I had a #11, this is it
Tee shirts (do you really need these?)
Overcoat or topcoat - again probably Northerners
Hat (other than ball cap) - I equate this with the accessories list
Man-Bag - Really?  Get the F&%# outta here!
Sunglasses - again with the accessories?
Tuxedo - I wish I had a #12 for this one!
Watch - another accessory...surely you already have that!
Boots - I think you don't tread into the boot category until you've hit solid ground with shoes.
Sneakers - I've had the same pair for years.  A nice extra,  but not really necessary.

So there is the complete list.  I personally think my initial exercise was successful.  Luckily I have just about everything on my list and everyone else's - except of course the Man Bag.  So if you decide to do a wardrobe assessment in your own closet, take the list above and fill in some gaps.  If you've got everything on the list, congratulations!  Go out into the world knowing you're looking swell.

I'll do another post soon to break down my suggested acceptable brands...and NO, Anthropologie and Abercrombie will not be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment