Thursday, January 20, 2011

What's up with the skull and bones?

What is going on with the Skull and Crossbones gig?  The old pirate sign is everywhere these days!  There is even a "Real Pirate" exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science - which is quite an interesting exhibit if you have some time.  When did the symbol become mainstream?  Anyone?  Bueller?

I have to admit it's pretty cool.  I don't know why...but it is.  Here are some examples I've witnessed of late:

Needlepoint belt by Ralph Lauren

Preppy Pants

Socks - {Courtesy of my friend at Affordable Wardrobe}

Boxer Shorts

Tie


Bowtie

Velvet Slippers

Braces

Cufflinks


Now don't you worry ladies, there's even skull and bones for you as well!


Blouse

Mini Skirt


Dress

Handbags

Leggings

Underpants

There's even a very fine English shoe company that has used the Skull and Bones as part of their logo!




The pirates of old would be so proud of such great representation!  Since I really couldn't figure out what was going on, I simply googled "Skull Bones" and mostly what came up was information regarding the old secret society at Yale called Skull and Bones.  The lineup for this club reads like a who's who in American Politics and includes both George Bush's!  I also located a movie called Skull and Bones, a gay horror flick...I'll skip that one!  And then of course, several references to the Jolly Roger flag flow by Pirates.

I guess everyone wants to be a Pirate!  Except Jerry Seinfeld of course!


So at this point I'm lost.  No clue!  If anyone would like to shed some light, I'm all ears.  Regardless, enjoy the skull and bones whenever you feel appropriate.  I'm looking at the velvet slippers and thinking a size 12 sent to Houston would be a good way to start my collection.  Until tomorrow...Arrrgh eee Matey!

No comments:

Post a Comment