Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Shell Cordovan Project - Part 2: The Return

A few posts ago (1/4/11), I started a project to return some old friends back into public service.  That's right, I re-commissioned my old Alden Shell Cordovan Cap-Toed Brogues purchased about 1992.  After pulling them out though, I realized that they were not ready for debut, as witnessed by the pre-hospitalization photos below.  These boys needed some time in the easy chair with some soap, polish and a good deep tissue massage.  So I took them to see my friends at Houston Shoe Hospital on Chimney Rock/Westheimer.  I asked them to kindly pay special attention to the odd funk grunge thing that seems to be emerging from the leather.




So yesterday I went to the hospital and eagerly picked up my old boys.  I couldn't wait to see the results.  Here they are:



I am pleased to report that they are once again road worthy!  Although happy, I have to admit that I was hoping for something a little better. The odd funk on the leather is still a little noticeable.  But short of sending them back to Alden for a complete overhaul and re-conditioning at a ticket price of $150, I have to say that I am very satisfied with the work...which only set me back a cool $8. 

So welcome back into the mix fellas!  I don't think I'll trot these guys out but for special occasions.  They've served their time and have the miles to prove it.  So like an old horse, we'll suit 'em up and take them for ride when the mood is easy and the air is right for drinkin'!

On another note and while I have your attention, I just received a new/used pair of Allen Edmonds Cap-Toed Brogues via eBay yesterday.  Yep, I do love me some eBay!  My old black calf brogues needed full retirement and donation to the house-help where they'll serve out the rest of their days.  So for $49, I'll think these guys are going to make a nice addition to the shoe squad!


No comments:

Post a Comment