Thursday, January 6, 2011

My innagural trip to V's Barbershop

Let's talk about the great haircut I recieved yesterday!  I decided it was time to have my ears lowered and have read several articles about the new V's Barbershop in the River Oaks Shopping Center here in Houston.  V's claim is that it's an upscale "old school" barber shop.  In fact, here's exactly what they say about themselves:

"Remember the old-time barber shop that Dad took you to when you were a kid for a hair cut? By now, most of them have vanished...

In November 1999, V's Barbershop & Shoeshine® opened in Phoenix and the great old-time barbershop was reborn. From the real barber chairs, to the old fashion hot lather and straight razor shave, to the head and neck massage, V's Barbershop sets a new standard. Our barbers provide traditional and short hair cuts, as well as contemporary men's haircut styles. At V's, we bring you the nostalgia of yesteryear with a modern twist."

Photo courtesy of V's

Started by Jim Valenzuela in Phoenix, the Houston location opened in mid-2010.  I went to the same barber (Sam at Braeswood Barber Shop) for the first 35 years of my life.  Then he up and retired on me!  I've spent the last number of years seeing Matt at Bellaire's Oldest Barber Shop.  Both long-term relationships...both old-time barber shops.  See the pattern here?

Pre-cut

I was warmly greeted by my gentleman barber Dreyvon Sanders.  I think only his Momma calls him Dreyvon so we settled on Drey.  After some assistance removing my blazer from the resident Shoe Shine executive, I loosened my tie, was shown to Drey's station and properly placed in the chair.  Drey was extemely attentive to my styling requests and wouldn't even start until we had settled on my expectations.  A No.5 clipper was chosen and Drey went to work.  Did I mention that Drey had to undergo a 2-week audition to get the job!

Drey is a long-time Houstonian from the Hiram Clarke area, attending Madison High School and another Katy area high school.  He started at V's in September and seems to be very happy in his new digs, as well as enjoying a surge in income since relocating from his previous barber shop near Reliant Stadium.  His jovial demeanor and attention to detail will obviously create a long-term satisfied clientele. He has a 15-month old daughter and hopes to one day work in commercial photography!   He also has an interest in clothing, especially an Italian spread collar with a large windsor knot.  All this and he was happy to oblige me a photo for this blog.

Drey at his station

Needless to say, my haircut was perfect and exceeded my expectations.  It's a tad more expensive ($25 plus tip) than I usually pay, but not more than I'm willing to pay for excellent service and nice end-product.  Here's the real secret Drey let me in on, they provide beer and wine...and at no charge!!!  Next time, my appointment is going to be around 4:30 or on a Saturday when I have time to take advantage of all their offerings.

Post Cut

So V's did everything I expected and with professionalism and personal care.  They have shoe shines, shaves and everything else you'd suspect from such a place.  Next time you need a haircut and Supercuts is a little to busy, SportClips doesn't have a decent game to watch or you just want to see what an old-school barber shop feels like, make yourself an appointment with my new friend Drey at V's. Tell him Britt sent you and then sit back and enjoy the experience.

The rig I put together for my barber trip consisted of the following:  Jos A Bank Blue Blazer, white linen pocket square, Brooks Brothers OCBD in fine blue stripe, khaki gaberdine trousers from Jos A Bank and loafers from Harold Powell.  The kit was all topped off with a Christmas gift bowtie made by our good friend Ralph given to me by my niece Carlee.  Just so we get them both in this post, here's the other bowtie Carlee picked out for me...also an RL product.

The Rig - full view

Those are fish on my tie!

The other new bowtie

For more informatin about V's:  http://www.vbarbershop.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment