Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Fashion Faux Pas - No. 1

This is a new series I'm calling - "Friday Fashion Faux Pas". 

Take for instance the nice young lad in the picture below.  Now I don't know him, but he happened to sit near me at my son's basketball game last Saturday.  Luckily, my friend Tara had an iPhone handy and quickly snapped this shot.  She may have giggled a little as she did it...I don't remember.

These Friday posts are going to chronicle fashion mistakes that just happen to be in my line of site.  I'm going to try and shield faces, etc. so as to not ridicule the wearer, but at the same time showcase an ensemble, outfit or an individual clothing choice that is just plain WRONG!  Like Sansabelt slacks, coach's shorts, black socks w/sandals...you get the idea.

So lets get started with our friend below who thinks he's trying out for the remake of Shaft.  I think the picture is good, but let me help you out.  He's decided that for a 6 year old basketball game, the proper article to pull from his closet is an old Starsky & Hutch, fake leather (probably vinyl) jacket/blazer with patch pockets and wide lapels that haven't been seen since 1978.  The color was something between a tan, taupe or split pee soup.  I think if he gets close to a match, the whole thing may go up in flames in a big quick puff of smoke.

Overall, this is just a poor choice.  With all the nice jackets to choose from, this is what he grabbed? I almost wrote down LLBean.com and handed it to him on my way past.  Now I'm not a fan of leather blazers, but there are some tasteful, current editions that would not make this faux pas list.  This item just happens to be a little over the top.  I can only assume it was a gift from the wife/girlfriend sitting next to him and she shamed him into wearing this horrible rag.  He was otherwise well groomed and not a bad looking guy.  So go figure!


So lets hear it for our first Friday Fashion Faux Pas - an old, out of date imitation leather blazer!  Folks...just don't do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment