Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Neckwear distribution...at a funeral?

A couple of weeks ago my good friend Ted Leitch and I were having lunch and talking about our mutual fascination with men's fashion and style.  He has told me on more than one occasion that he received a lot of his fashion background and interest growing up around his clotheshorse Father.  Sorry to say, but Mr. Leitch passed away a few years ago.  I will never say there is a silver lining or good side to losing a parent, but in this case, the passing down of Mr. Leitch's vast wardrobe to his "same size" son, might be the only bright side to this situation.  The wardrobe passing included a collection of custom suits, shirts, shoes and other accessories.  Dear old Pop Sudduth is 2 inches shorter and several pounds lighter, so the prospect of inheriting any of his garments is shot to poop.  Back to Ted's story.

When Mr. Leitch passed away, his many friends were all aware of his fashionista status and his large collection of ties that he'd amassed over the years.  In fact, according to Ted, Mr. Leitch never once rid himself of any tie that he'd owned. Suffice to say, the collection was vast at the time of his death.

In order to allow his many friends to have a piece of remembrance upon his passing, the Leitch family not only displayed the large collection of ties at the service, but asked each friend to pick out their favorite to take home with them.  Ted says that even today, he'll run into old family friends and they will tell him how much they enjoy owning a tie that once belonged to Mr. Leitch and how special the gesture meant.

Mr. Daniel (Dan) Leitch III, Mrs. Diane Leitch and my friend Ted Leitch

Now I've been to many a funeral unfortunately and I don't remember ever going home with an item belonging to the deceased.  When Ted told me this story, I just couldn't believe how clever and cool it was and clearly the most dynamic method of helping friends keep a loved one in their hearts and memories.  I salute the Leitch Family for their ingenuity and thoughtfulness.  And I'll tell you one thing more, I'm never throwing a tie out again.  I only hope somebody will remember this post when my time comes! 

After hearing the story at lunch that day I emailed Ted and requested permission to forward it on to my blog readers.  He was happy to give his approval and even supplied the picture above.  Thanks for sharing the story Ted.  I hope I've relayed it correctly and that you and your family will enjoy reading this post as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment