Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gray Flannel in Houston you may ask?

It's about 30 degrees in Houston this morning so I thought it might be a good day for this post!

Alright, so I may be the only cat in Houston wearing a Gray Flannel chalk-stripe suit this season, but I just can't help myself!  I just love the fabric, feel and drape of the suit.

Yours truly and my dapper son

Now for some history:  I bought the suit in about 1994 on a business trip with my Father to New York City.  Dad decided to buy a couple of suits and suggested that I pick one out myself.  Who was I to turn him down? Back then we wore suits at least 4 and sometimes still 5 days a week, so the logical move was to purchase a year-round worsted that would fill an empty slot in my daily suit selection.  No way!  I went crazy!  I purchased a purely Fall/Winter heavy flannel that can be worn a few golden times yearly when the temperature in H-town drops below 50 degrees - you know...really cold!  This is where I admit that some alterations have occurred since 1994 to assist my expansion and contraction activities that occur from time to time.

I'm a little embarrassed to say, but the suit is made by our good friend Ralph under his Chaps label.  The goods news is that since I only wear the threads about 3 times a year, the suit still looks almost new today.  I'd also like to point out, which I occasionally do, that when you buy classic/traditional clothing, you will inevitably get years and years of use from the garment.  This suit is just as stylish today as it was in 1994.  The lapel width is not going to scare anyone, no bell-bottom legs, forward pleats are still good to go and a 1 3/4 inch cuff is still what I wear today. 

So my quick "lesson of the story" is, don't buy what may be trendy, faddish or whatever the cool jetset 20 year-old is wearing.  And if you are over 22 years old, never under any circumstances should you own anything purchased from Abercrombie or Aeropostle!  Purchase quality clothing that can be worn year after year.  And take care of your clothes if you want them to last!

Here's a close up.  Not a great pic but you can see the heaviness of the flannel better.


Just a note:  In the top photo I'm wearing the aforementioned gray flannel suit, white Bill Walker Clothier custom shirt with french cuffs and spread collar, purple/green striped tie by Jos. A. Bank and chocolate suede cap-toed brogues by Charles Tyrwhitt.  Not shown is a faux crocodile belt by Polo.  The younger lad in the photo is my son Daniel, who is becoming a very stylish young man already.  Notice the repp tie, blue blazer showing just a hint of cuff, forest green cords, blue Polo heavy oxford shirt and chocolate colored chukka boots - all purchased on eBay.  Very cool indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment