Thursday, March 17, 2011

Riley goes to the Movies...Wall Street-Money Never Sleeps

So I know months ago when Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps hit the theatre there were tons of guys like me weighing in with an opinion.  Well...I didn't have a blog back then so now I get to throw my opinion in the ring.  Here goes!


If you haven't seen Wall Street-Money Never Sleeps, please turn your head away now.  If you have, see if you agree with me.  I saw the original 1987 movie at the theatre when it opened, rented the movie and then purchased the movie which I promptly tried to wear out. And today it ranks in my top 5 favorites of all time. So it was clearly a most anticipated sequel.  This time I watched it again with my lovely wife, just to see the little nuances I may have missed in the theatre.  Here's the skinny... I didn't miss anything.  But at least I got to spend some additional time with Gekko & Company and I did enjoy the wardrobe design.  I just don't why they didn't bring Mr. Flusser back in for a second round.  He would have done it even better.

Shia Labeef was totally miscast and was unbelievable as a child prodigy on Wall Street at the tender age of what...21?  And his little shoulders in his little banker suits? Surely they could have found someone better.  And why did they make Winnie Gekko, Gordon's daughter, unattractive?  In real life, Carey Mulligan is quite nice looking.  Mr. Petite Shoulders is a young nice guy who makes big bucks.  Why couldn't he find a hottie with brains?  Then there's Gekko, who other than his evil, dishonest, back-stabbing, felony committing self, is a pretty cool guy who is just tough to hate.

Shia LaMiscast and his wee little boy suit

The unattractive Winnie Gekko

My overall review is this:  not a good effort.  O. Stone could have done better.  Other than Gekko, the actors could have been better cast.  Wall Street is where, albeit young persons do make a lot of money and rise categorically quick, adults run the show.  Why would a multi-billionaire take advice from a kid barely out of business school?  I really wanted this to be a movie I could watch over and over, but the whole thing is just not believable. 

Extra Note:  Bringing back Bud Fox for a cameo was brilliant.  Having him become an egotistical butt-head who brings 2 whoreshly looking dates to the MoMa Gala is unrealistic.  They could  have just passed on the street and given each other a grimmish glare and that would have done the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment