Thursday, December 30, 2010

What does a $300 tie look like?

So have you ever asked yourself, "What does a $300 tie look like?"  Well, if you have been pondering this conundrum for any length of time, then I'm here to bring it all together.  First, yes, such an item does exist. Second, yes, I actually own such an item.  And third, no, I was not on crack when I purchased the item.  So let's get the great suspense out of the way and then I'll tell you how this terribly over-priced item came to be in my possession.

Here it is in all its glory:


I won a gift certificate at a local philanthropic event for $200 to a local fine men's haberdashery that will go nameless...but let's just say it's located in Houston, on Westhiemer across from the Galleria between Post Oak & Sage and has an Italian name ending in "i".  This locale happens to be the single largest Brioni dealer in the county outside of New York so I knew the pricing was going to be high.  So high, that I've never even bothered to set foot in the place. 

I was nicely greeted at the door by my nattily dressed salesman.  After our greetings and my presentation of the gift certificate, he proceeded to show me around the store, just like someone shows you around their new home.  We went room to room as he expertly showed me the differences between his fine garments and those found across the street at Macy's and Nordstrom's.  Still no pricing scenarios were presented.  So I finally said, knowing that at some point I had to purchase something, let's look at the ties.  And aren't they just beautiful!  Not wanting to sound cheap, but needing to know what the tally was going to be, I finally asked how much!  He said they run around $200.  I thought "Perfect."  I was hoping to get a few items, maybe a pocket square ($80), but settled on the fact that one tie was enough.

As the ring up process was going on, I was asked to complete a form about the same length as the one you complete at the doctor's office.  It even wanted to know my wife's sizing!  So I complied and the form was submitted into the computer which surely will result in emails, calls and the occasional note that more ties are available.  Then the surprise...I was asked to provide an additional $106.00.  Figuring a mistake, I informed her that I was using my gift certificate, which came a reply that the gift card had already been applied.  Now, in a momentary lapse of judgment and to avoid enbarrasement, I allowed her to go ahead and charge my Amex for the difference.  With immediate buyers remorse, I quickly gathered my new $300 tie and scurried out of the store before Mr. Nattyman could press me to add the pocket square I had been fondling earlier.

My only saving grace is that I really only paid $106 for my $300 Italian neckwear...and it IS an extremely nice tie.  So that's how I came to be the proud but foolish owner of a $300 tie.  And I can almost guarantee you that I will never pay such an amount for a tie again.  By the way, the unworn necktie is available for sale at $299.99 if anyone is interested!  Going, going.....still here.

3 comments:

  1. come on now...You should have known better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I've not even worn the thing yet! I'm thinking of sending it Giuseppe at Affordable Wardrobe as a gift.

    ReplyDelete