Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Man Chairs...you need one!

I'd like to introduce today to my good friend...my Man Chair.  Why is it that most men have "their chair"?  My Dad had his in our house growing up, an old overstuffed rocking chair that once sat in his Mother's living room.  You know, that one that you could sit in if he wasn't home but when he walked in the door you just instinctively got up and moved.  It was always the best chair in the house, by far the most comfortable and for some reason always the most strategically placed chair in the room for optimal TV viewing.  It was where Dad could stretch out after a long day's work, read his paper and bounce kids on his lap.  It was generally also where he sat when we had to have one of those unwanted Father/Son chats about life and how to lead the right kind.

In some houses Mom has her chair but it's never an overstuffed comfy chair or the best placed in the room (See Edith and Archie Bunker example below).  Heck most of the time Mom just sat in one of the "other" chairs like the rest of the kids.  I guess it harks back to the old days where the King had his thrown and his subjects took their rest on whatever they could find.  Now before you nice ladies start a rant, please notice that I mentioned the old days, like Medieval Times.  I would under no circumstances insinuate that wives are any less deserving of "a Chair" then us guys.  In fact, I'm a proponent for maximal chair equality and optimization amongst both spouses.

Archie & Edith Bunker

My "Chair" is a beautiful, leather club chair with ottoman in a distressed tan leather, which I must say is distressing further very nicely.  I purchased this bad boy as a divorce present to myself about 10 years ago and paid a fairly hefty price for the set, although I did get a good deal from a friend's Dad who worked at Star Furniture.  Next to our matrimonial bed, my chair is by far the most comfortable spot in the house.  It's nestled nicely between a couch and fireplace with a perfect hearth deck to place my large magazine collection. There's even a nice small table to hold my coffee or evening toddy.  And for some reason, my kids instinctively move when I'm ready to sit down.  Well...sometimes they need a kind request to move, but they generally take their leave without too much grumbling.  Let it be known that I don't think I've ever asked Jen to sit elsewhere.  In fact, I was once very pleased to find a shawl and a book in my chair one morning, evidence that Jen had done some late night reading and chose my chair as her cozy reading spot.  I also had to do some serious Lego removal one evening when I realized that my Chair had become part of an elaborate Lego Village or Fort, complete with parking garage underneath and a heliport on the back highest perch.

My Man Chair...Club Design!

Herewith are some additional Man Chair examples.  May I suggest that if you're in the market and married...purchase 2 of the same.  Or suggest that your wife choose one of her liking.  I don't claim to ever suggest marriage tips, but I have gained a little wisdom over the years.

The Ultimate TV Chair

A Beautiful & Expensive Eames Chair by Herman Miller

A nice distressed Example...looks comfortable doesn't it?

OK, so I've done it again.  I've taken something very simple like a chair and romanticized it and brought it too life.  But it's part of our home, our memories and part of our lives.  I know we're not supposed to cherish material things, but if the house were burning down, once Jen and the kids were safely out, I might see about getting my Chair out safely as well!

Frasier Crane's Dad's Man Chair

1 comment:

  1. where is the 2nd chair with the two compartments opened up and the digital remote??? I have been searching and cannot find it :(

    ReplyDelete