Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day...A Chronicle!

I've decided to give you dear readers a play-by-play of my Father's Day Extravaganza.

8:30 a.m. - Awakened by the quiet chatter of my wonderful son and his good friend Drew who spent the night last night with us.  Jen had to teach Sunday School so she quickly went into "getting ready" mode and swept the boys off to church leaving Yours Truly at home for a very nice and quiet start to my day.  I decided not to waste any time and got my tail out of bed, started some coffee, put on some smooth jazz and settled into my big leather club chair with my Sunday Paper.  After some quality relaxation time I took the opportunity to start some laundry and clean off my desk, which had become quite cluttered over the past couple of months.

This is where it all got started...

11:00 a.m. - Jen and Daniel arrived home, changed clothes and then Jen happily scooted off to the Hartz Fried Chicken shop around the corner to pick us up some greasy Father's Day requested lunch.  Daniel has now prepared his new Lego Fire/Rescue Truck project for us to work on.

Lego project in pre-start

Father's Day Fried Chicken...oh yeah!

12:45 p.m. - Lunch is done (that was some fine fried chicken!) and the Father/Son Lego Project is done.  Fire & Rescue is ready to go...or be played with anyway.  I managed to get a picture before it was turned into a spaceship, monster truck or whatever else Daniel's brain can think up.  Jen's working on the greasy, baked on rib gunk on the cookie sheets leftover from last night's dinner.  Load 3 is now in the washer with several to go.  What's next?

Lego project in completion...he almost doesn't need me at all anymore!

1:10 p.m. - Father's Day gift is presented and it is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  I was just telling Jen Friday night that I needed a work table next to my grill.  She, I mean the kids, went one step further and found this very handy, wicked awesome table / beer & wine cooler.  It looks like a table, but wait...it pops up for easy access to the cold drinks!  What a great gift!  What's next?

It's a table...wait, it's a cooler...wait it's a cool gift!

2:10 p.m. - After some serious relaxing in the club chair and a sliver of chocolate pie, we've decided to adjourn to the redneck pool in the backyard for a quick dip and a cold beer.  So far this day is going just as planned!

Ah...Father and Son...very groovy!

3:30 p.m. - Pool time is done... Time for the Nap!

4:15 p.m. - Absolutely fabulous nap taken care of, now it's time to get ready for the evening's festivities.  We're heading over to my brother's house for a little cookout and family time with my Dad and the rest of the Sudduth posse.  I'll catch you on the flipside!

8:42 p.m. - Just back from my brother's house where we completely stuffed ourselves on chile con queso, burgers, dogs and chocolate cake that was to die for.  I had my eye on a couple of chocolate chip cookies in our fridge for a late night Father's Day snack, but I think I'm going to pass.  A huge thanks to my brother Cade and his girlfriend Amanda for hosting the Sudduth's Father's Day Family Fete.  It was truly wonderful!

My Brother Cade working his new pit

Riley enjoying her day also...

Me and Pop in relax mode

The kids decided TV was a good way to spend the evening

Our hosts for the evening - Cade & Amanda

9:00 p.m. - I'll probably stay up a bit but I'm tired and full, so I'm going to call this marathon post done.  Although I've only had 6 other Father's Days to compare with, and they were all wonderful, this was truly an ultra-glorious day.  Jen and Daniel really went out of their way to give me a memorable day....mission accomplished.  If you're wondering, my 14 year old daughter is in the Dominican Republic on a church mission trip and having a wonderful experience...but she was missed here today.  So Happy Father's Day to all the other Fathers out there!  I hope you had a great day as well.  Adios and out.

2 comments: