Friday, April 22, 2011

Hangin' with the Mayor, BBQ and Egg Hunting

In my book, Good Friday is a holiday.  And since I own the company, with Corporate Resolution in hand, I am hereby allowing myself the day off.  Of course, as we all know, when you own the company, you never get a holiday.  So I'm sure I'll sit at the desk and bang away for a bit anyway.

This is going to be one of those hodge podge posts where I share several small items with you that don't have enough depth for a post of their own.  So let's get started shall we?

Hangin' with the Mayor

Last Friday I attended the "State of the City" Address held by the Greater Houston Partnership and featuring our dynamic new mayor Annise Parker.  I try and take politics out of city government and focus on the person's ability to effectively and properly run our city...which is really just a big business.  And with the budget shortfalls and a continued down economy, I think she's doing a pretty bang up job.   Her speech was good and her message strong...continue to whittle away at the budget deficit while maintaining job security for our municipal workers while bringing growth and continued business prosperity to this great city of ours.  I was even so bold as to shake her hand and thank her for her hard work and service.

Houston's Mayor Annise Parker

BBQ in Beaumont

So last week I had to made a trip back to my birthplace - Beaumont, Texas.  I have a prospect in Beaumont that needed a personal visit.  So I made the trek 90 miles to the East, which nowadays isn't much longer to reach than some of my Houston clients!  The high point was that the meeting let out about Noon, which gave me a unique opportunity to find a new BBQ joint, one of my favorite little hobbies.  I headed South on 11 St. and found the Wendy's, Hartz Chicken, McDonald's and several other fast food joints.  I was just about to turn around for the Wendy's when I saw a true roadside joint with a big sign for Broussard's Links, Ribs & BBQ.  How could I go wrong!


So I quickly turned in and jumped out.  That's when I realized just how "roadside" this place was.  It had no dining room, just an order window and a pick up window.  I asked the nice robust woman in front of me if this place was good and she quickly replied with "Best in Beaumont" so I decided to give it a shot.  I ordered a chopped beef sandwich and a diet coke, paid my tab of $4.75 and found 3 makeshift picnic tables on the side of the building to enjoy my lunch and take in some South Beaumont scenery.  I also began to notice that I was clearly the only Caucasian in the area which brought both smiles and stares when they saw me on the porch.  One thing I've found is that no matter your color, creed, sexuality or nationality, all of us enjoy some good Q.  And it was very good!  So next time you find yourself on the South side of Beaumont, stop into Broussard's and tell them Britt sent you...



Egg hunting at St. Luke's

Every year our beloved church St. Luke's Methodist throws a huge picnic and egg hunt the Sunday before Easter.  And every year it's a load of fun.  It feels like an old country picnic where the men take off their jackets and roll up their sleeves...where ladies saunter around in pretty spring dresses...and kids run with reckless abandon hauling their Easter baskets ready to attack the eggs.  The eggs are roped off into quadrants based on age and after the hamburgers and hot dogs have been consumed, the bell rings and the kids make the dash to collect eggs.  It's really quite fun to watch.


Today is Good Friday and Sunday is Easter.  I hope all you dear readers enjoy the long weekend and have a blessed and spiritually filled Easter Sunday.  I'll have plenty of pictures for you on Monday and yes, it's time to break out the Seersucker Suit!

2 comments:

  1. How refreshing to see a such a wonderful family. You are a blessed man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to the Sudduth Family!!

    ReplyDelete