Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grandma's Frying Pan is Hot!

This is a post about frying pans...yes frying pans.  Remember, my blog and I can post anything I want.  So hang in there with me.

Many of you have very nice cookware in your cupboard purchased at the finer stores like Williams Sonoma.  I happen to have a whole set with Emeril's name on them and they do work beautifully.  But, one item deep in the back that doesn't match anything is my Grandmother's Black Iron Skillet that must be about 75 years old.  When my Grandmother passed away many years ago now, my Father as an only child basically got everything, much of it stuff he did not need.  He told the 3 brothers to look around the house and grab anything that appealed to us.  Most of it was not worth much and quite a bit of the items I might have put in my one bedroom apartment went to the trash heap do to the amount of cigarette smoke lodged into every seam.

Then I saw it!  Sitting there with 8 assorted coffee pots and other cookware.  The black frying pan, so seasoned that it shined.  So hard there was not a dent.  So perfect...and now so mine!  I quickly grabbed the skillet and put it in my car so as not to be claimed by another brother.  I use it now every so often and always think of my Grandmother who was such a good cook.  You know that old game where you get to choose to re-create any meal with any person living or dead?  Well my meal is any Thanksgiving of my youth spent in Port Arthur at Maw's table.  She used the skillet for lots of different items, but my favorite was the cornbread she cooked with it.  The cornbread always came out with an extremely crispy side and a fluffy middle, which today is how I love it.

Grandmother's Black Iron Skillet close up

The skillet (right burner) going to work Saturday Night.  On the left is a borrowed unit.

Why am I telling you about this utility cookware?  Because I used it Saturday night at our Dinner Club we hosted.  I used it to cook Filet Mignon with a Roquefort Sauce.  First you get the skillet flaming hot, sear the meat for 3 minutes on both sides and then place in the oven for 5 minutes.  Magic...perfect Filet's.  What made me chuckle is that the skillet has gone from cornbread in Port Arther, Texas to Filet Mignon in Houston, Texas and never missed a beat.  My Grandmother probably would be flabbergasted that I would choose to use the cookware for such fine meat.  But then my Grandmother thought I hung the moon and I would imagine she would think that my usage of the skillet was wonderful.

Anyway, there's a whole rant about old Black Iron Skillets, Grandmother's love and cooking and a quick Filet Mignon recipe.  Next up is a post about how to care for Black Iron Skillets to make sure they stay seasoned, black and shiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment