Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cappelini's...with a side dish of Sinatra!

In the Heights area we are constantly clamoring for and requesting new dining options.  Well, a new joint just came on to the scene so we decided to check it out.  It's called Capellini's and it's located on N. Main St. near the Spanish Flowers Mexican spot in the Heights.   The address is 4721 North Main, 77009. 

Main St.

I read several reviews and 29 out of 30 folks gave it high marks, so the Sudduth's made the trek last Friday evening.  At first glance, it's just another strip center restaurant.  When you get inside you feel like you've hit a real neighborhood delight.  It's pure old school Italian.

Interior a la Italiano

As we were being seated there was a gentleman sitting near a stage obviously ready to perform.  I slyly asked what type of entertainment we'd be enjoying and he coyly said, "Mostly Sinatra."  I was in hog heaven and hadn't even looked at the menu yet!  The service was quick and kind, while not being overly obtrusive.  Now here's the real cool benefit...it's BYOB!  That's right, my $10 table Cabernet fits in just perfectly.

My lovely bride and some Bruschetta!

Heavy D with Hot Wheels and bread crumbs!

Our Sinatra-esque lounge singer, Rob Silver, started the evening off with my request of "Fly me to the Moon" and kept it smoothly going throughout our meal, throwing in just a touch of Dino Martin for some additional flavor.  By the way, he's $150/hour if your interested in hiring him for a private gig.  I don't think he has aspirations of making a full-time living with his voice, but he's very entertaining, fun and pretty good at the Sinatra imitation.  Don't be surprised if the next time you come to my house for a dinner party you don't see him setting up in the corner.  Call me and I'll give you his information.

Yours Truly with Frank!

Anyway, the food came and it was very good.  It's not going to win any awards, but it was spot on family Italian.  Jen had the lasagna and I had Spaghetti Bolognese.  Daniel had some of each while also downing several pieces of very good crusty French Bread soaked in olive oil, cheese and other mixes.  The only set back came with the bill...it's a bit pricey.  Not so much that we won't come back, but still just a bit more than I want to pay for pasta with marinara.  Most main course dishes came in about $12.00.  Click here to see the menu.

So there you have it!  A really nice neighborhood Italian Bistro with good food, great relevant entertainment and a nice bottle of wine courtesy of Kroger.  I would give it my full recommendation.  And when you're there, tell Mr. Sinatra that I said hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment