Friday, May 6, 2011

Bow Tie Mania

They're everywhere!  All over the Internet!  In the countless blogs I follow!  Even "Bow Tie Friday" is catching on in parts of the world.  OK...that may be an overstatement.  But these little guys are seeing some renewed popularity.  I have a keen eye for spotting a bow tie and I have to say that more men are giving them a try.  And I can absolutely validate, that although many adventurous gentlemen have not yet donned the cool little tie, many of them are contemplating the exercise.


There is one HUGE problem associated with wearing a bow tie.  No, it's not that you'll look silly.  No, it's not that you'll stand out in a crowd.  No, it's not that you'll be labeled a trendsetter.  The biggest hurdle to wearing a bow tie is actually tying the blasted thing.  When friends and customers see me wearing my bow ties, I often get this line, "Dude that looks awesome.  I wish I could wear one of those!"  Then I always respond with, "Why not? You can pull this off."  Then comes that sad face and the quick admittance that he doesn't know how to tie it and does not want to sport one of those pre-tied numbers.

So 'Ole Britt is here to help.  I've installed below several step by step instructional outlines on the basic process of tying a bow tie.  Choose which you like best, get a mirror and take some time.  You'll need several tries so don't get discouraged.  Once you've made the initial tie, it won't look so great.  Now you're going to have to pull, prod, shape and sculpt the bow into looking properly set.  One real helpful guide is to grab the 2 bow ends and pull tight.  This will make your knot smaller and give you more bow to work with.  Also, before you get started, make sure you've got enough tie length for your sized neck. Most bow ties are adjustable, so work with the length before diving into creating the bow.





Now here is the follow up and the real doozey of a deal.  If you want to tie a bow tie and can't figure it out, call me and I will come to your home for a lesson...no fee, no obligation to purchase custom clothing, no ridicule for needing help and a rock solid personal guarantee that I will NOT tell anyone about our manly interlude of fashion assistance.  This assistance guarantee assumes you live in the city of Houston.  I will travel, but you get to pay the expenses. So go get yourself a bow tie, put in some practice and I'll see you on the streets next week for "Bow Tie Friday"!

1 comment:

  1. You could also mention that it's EXACTLY the same knot you use to tie your shoe. Tie a bow tie around your thigh a few times, and that may help to give you a feel for it.

    ReplyDelete