Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Restaurant Review: DownHouse in The Heights

Something very strange happened to me at lunch last week...someone decided to illustrate the lost art of great customer service!  As happens on occasion, I found myself without a lunch partner so I set out with my trusty newspaper to find something new in the area.  I remembered several folks mentioning the new DownHouse spot on Yale St./18th in the Heights, so I headed that way.


The building has housed several business over that past few years including a Compass Bank and Grateful Images.  The current owners have gutted the whole building to create a cozy, roomy cool lounge-like restaurant complete with leather couches and bench seating against the wall.  I was immediately at ease upon entering and greeted warmly.

I found a nice empty table with good lighting so I could catch up on the current SEC/A&M situation and how Baylor seems to be ruining the Aggies leap to projected stardom and often defeat in their new conference.  All was well until I looked at the menu...nothing but farm fresh, granola type healthy food with little choice for a meat and potatoes man like myself.  And I'm sure it's good stuff and clearly something my lovely wife would devour in a heartbeat with much gratitude to the owners.


Then came the "Customer Service" expert in the form of my waiter, whom I believe may have also been the owner.  I had just ordered my Diet Coke and was about to head out to find another eatery when Mr. Customer Service came to my rescue.  He pleasantly asked what I'd like and when I informed him there was really nothing that looked orderable, he simply said, "What would you like?  I'll make you anything you want."  How damn refreshing is that!!! 


The only thing that looked remotely good to me was the Longhorn Burger, but not being in the burger mood I inquired about the free-range lemon-chicken sandwich with olive tapenade, feta cream, sauteed spinach on a challah roll.  Now I know what chicken is but all the other stuff held me at a loss.   He said again, "How do you want it?"  I said with just cheese, and he gave me 8 different choices.  I chose a nice white cheese with an Italian name and off he went.  My sandwich arrived and it was perfect!  Delicious and hot!  The bread was a sweet roll which complimented the melted cheese nicely.  When the bill came it was housed inside an old book, a nice touch of class and unique.


So although I was clearly challenged by the menu, I walked away stuffed and very pleased with my entire dining experience.  In these days of hurry up meals and waiters that have no idea how the food is prepared or how to suggest something their guest would enjoy, these guys have it got it licked!  So next time you want to try something new, scamper over to the DownHouse and feel free to just tell them what you want.  I'm sure they'll be happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment