Thursday, August 16, 2012

A new Belt Buckle from Brooks...

My wonderful wife really struck gold, or silver in this case, when she bought me a new belt buckle for Christmas.  I know, why am I just now writing about it?  Well, because it's taken me this long to get a belt strap for it and start wearing it.  So, anyway, here we go. 

I have been wanting this particular buckle for years.  The engine turned silver buckle has been around for ages, but it's a fairly pricey item and has thus remained on the "want" list for some time.  But my wife kicked it up a notch and took care of me.  She says I am the man who needs nothing, but I think it's just that my list is filled with items far out of my pocketbook's reach.


The buckle is sterling silver from Brooks Brothers and has my monogram.  It's attached, for the time being, to a nice moderately priced leather moc croc belt strap.  The Brooks strap version in real croc is only $495 and will have to wait for another occasion.  It's really a wonderful addition to my wardrobe and will be cherished for years and years.  Hopefully my son will some day think it's cool as well and add it to his large collection of inherited monogrammed items that he will some day receive.  Here are a few other examples:





Which poses another question...is it ok to wear or carry an item with someone's monogram other than yours.  I say absolutely yes...in certain circumstances.  If it's a rare antique or family member's item, wear it with pride.  If it's a brand new item you picked up on EBay, don't even think about it.  Just be prepared with a response as to why it's not your monogram and how cool it is to don a family heirloom or something with a history.  One example is my mother's weekend bag.  When we were cleaning out my parent's house, I came across the bag and immediately snapped it up.  At a pool party last week, the kind hostess noticed and admired the bag and quickly got a little history.  She thought it was extremely cool that I would want and love something belonging to my dear Mother.  I use it and carry it with pride!


So we started with belt buckles and ended with a monogram discussion.  All in all, I think we covered some good ground today!

1 comment: